Sunday, July 29, 2007

"Fabulous" taste in men.

Dear Tazz13_632,

I keep dating guys who break up me because they "suddenly" realized that they are gay. Why does this keep happening to me?

Signed,

AbFab.

Dear AbFab,

By the tone of your email, I'm guessing you're a woman looking for love in Los Angeles. Every single woman I know in L.A. Has had this happened to them. It seems like you're not officially an L.A. resident until it's happened to you.

But what if it happens frequently, or even constantly? Well, the first thing to ask yourself is "What's my type?" If you find yourself attracted to metrosexuals, or other vaguely gay types(as one friend of mine put it), then you might want to consider changing your preferences abit, or simply accepting that you may have to kiss alot of gay frogs before you find your straight prince.

Normally, this is where this blog would end. But I happened to mention the topic to a gay friend of mine, and his response to this issue was so shockingly profound, it rendered me speechless, and that doesn't happen often. He said "How bad have these women been hurt? Often, with my straight female friends, the ones that keep dating closeted gay men are the ones that were victims of assault, infidelity or some other horrible thing. They get hurt so badly that they develop a coping mechanism to prevent themselves from ever getting hurt again. So they wind up going out with men that deep down they KNOW are gay, even if they guy himself doesn't know yet, so that they can say 'Woe is me' or 'Their just aren't any good single ones left' so they don't have to face the truth. Living in denial is much easier than hitting your demons head on. Until they wage that battle and win, they'll continue this cycle."

Well said, my gay Yoda, well said.

No comments: